Bookmarks in Power BI are a great way to create powerful reports and have a little more control over how the user interacts with your report. Essentially, creating a bookmark captures the Power BI report in exactly the configuration and layout that it was when the bookmark was added. Once the bookmarks are captured, they can be added as an “Action” to a button. When the user clicks on the button, the Power BI report will automatically adjust itself to the specified bookmark. It’s a great way to add some extra dynamicism to the Power BI report.
How to Add a Bookmark
- In the View pane at the top of the report, make sure that the Bookmarks option is selected.
- The Bookmarks pane will appear on the right of the page.
- Configure the page the way you want it and click on the “Add” button to add a new bookmark.
How to Link a Bookmark to a Button
- Go to the Insert tab in the top ribbon and select the Button that you want to add.
- Click on the button visualization, in the Visualizations pane on the right.
- Select ‘Type’ as Bookmark and then under ‘Bookmark’ choose the desired bookmark.
Power BI Bookmarks and Show/Hide Functionality
One of the easiest ways to take advantage of Power BI bookmarks is to use them in conjunction with the show/hide functionality in the selection pane. Bookmarks can be configured so that certain visuals are shown or hidden based on a button selection by the user. This allows the report designer to fit more visuals onto a single page, while also controlling the user experience.
If you are looking for Power BI assistance, Kumo Partners is ready to help! Reach out to us here. For more Power BI related blog posts, check out our Power BI blog section here! Or you can learn more about Power BI bookmarks on Microsoft’s website here.